Photo: Wally Pacholka, December 14, 2009
We hope you're getting ready to watch the Geminids this year, because it's going to be an amazing show. You'll be able to see them best between midnight and sunrise on December 13th and 14th. If the weather is bad on the 14th, you can still try looking on the 15th. Here's a skymap to help you locate the Geminids by Dr. Tony Phillips. Want more? Read "Geminid Meteor Shower Defies Explanation" on the NASA site and check out Astronomy Magazine's article.
Here are some quick tips from our Heads Up! It's a Meteor Shower Handout:
- You don't need a telescope, just your eyes
- Find a dark spot away from streetlights
- Get warm - layers are good
- Lie down on a blanket or reclining chair
- Look up! Watch the whole sky.
Keep up with stargazing by finding an astronomy club now!